REAL ID ACT requirements
Passed by Congress in 2005, the REAL ID Act established minimum security standards for state-issued driver’s licenses and identification cards and prohibits federal agencies, like TSA, from accepting licenses and identification cards for official purposes from states that do not meet these standards.
REAl ID ENFORCEMENT dates
Beginning January 22, 2018:
Driver’s licenses or state IDs that are not in compliance with the REAL ID Act and have not been granted an extension by DHS may not be used to fly within the U.S.
Wisconsin Residents – You need to know: That Wisconsin offers both REAL ID-compliant and non-compliant driver licenses and IDcards. You need to specify when you renew your drivers License.
Read the information in the Article specifically for Wisconsin Residents
Residents of other States:
You can check the status if your state IDs here.
Beginning October 1, 2020, every traveler will need a REAL ID-compliant license or state ID or another acceptable form of identification to fly within the U.S.
WHEN YOU ARE FLYING in 2018
If your state is compliant:
• You may continue to use your state-issued driver’s license or ID to fly in the U.S. until October 1, 2020.
• Beginning October 1, 2020, you may only use a REAL ID compliant driver’s license or ID or another acceptable form of identification for domestic air travel.
Demand Extends Sfgate For Deadline Travelers Id Tsa Real If your state is not compliant:
• Beginning January 22, 2018, you may continue to use your state-issued driver’s license or ID for domestic air travel only if your state has been granted an extension to the compliance deadline by DHS.
If your state has not been granted an extension Demand Extends Sfgate For Deadline Travelers Id Tsa Real by DHS you may not use your state-issued driver’s license or ID for domestic air travel.
• Beginning October 1, 2020
Demand Extends Sfgate For Deadline Travelers Id Tsa Real Demand Extends Sfgate For Deadline Travelers Id Tsa Real No one may use a non-complaint state-issued driver’s license or ID for domestic air travel
- If it’s time to renew your driver license or ID, you can upgrade to a REAL ID-compliant card for no additional fee (if the upgrade takes place at the same time as your renewal).
- If your current driver license or ID will not expire before 2020, and you wish to obtain a REAL ID-compliant card, the cost of a duplicate card will apply.
- Wisconsin offers both REAL ID-compliant and non-compliant driver licenses and ID cards. The cards look similar ( See Images below )
REAL ID-compliant are marked with a µ, while non-compliant cards are marked “NOT FOR FEDERAL PURPOSES.” Should you choose to continue to hold a non-compliant card, you will need another form of identification to board a plane or access federal sites.
- If you have a valid U.S. passport or another acceptable form of federal identification, you can use that for identification, in place of a REAL ID-compliant driver license or ID card. View list of Transportation Safety Administration approved documents.
What should bring to DMV
Demand Extends Sfgate For Deadline Travelers Id Tsa Real to get a REAL ID?
To obtain a REAL ID-compliant driver license or ID card, you must present additional documentation when you apply. One original document or certified copy (not a photocopy, fax or scan) from each category is required. Some documents may be used for more than one category, whereas some will only satisfy the requirements of a single category. The document categories include:
- Proof of Name and Date of Birth
- Proof of Legal Presence in the U.S.
- Proof of Identity
- Proof of Name Change (if applicable)
- Proof of Social Security Number
- Proof of Address
Use DMV’s interactive driver licensing guide to receive a personalized checklist of the required documents you will need to bring. It also allows you to pre-fill any required application(s), print and bring with you or submit electronically (if eligible). You may also be able to schedule an appointment for the DMV for faster service.
Sample Wisconsin ID Cards – Check Yours Today